Logo

Chiefs Bring Back Proven Tight End to 53-Man Roster Just 18 Hours After Release Amid Rice Suspension

Article image

The Kansas City Chiefs are never shy about reshuffling personnel, and the past 24 hours proved just how fluid roster management can be. A surprising reversal has placed a familiar pass catcher back on the main roster.

With wide receiver Rashee Rice suspended for six games, Kansas City needed to adjust its offensive depth chart. That adjustment came swiftly, as the front office turned to an option they had just moved away from.

Fans were puzzled when a preseason standout was cut during the final 53-man trim. But less than a day later, the Chiefs reversed course, promoting him once again in light of the suspension situation.

That player is Robert “Bobby” Tonyan, the veteran tight end with proven production in the NFL. Known for his breakout 11-touchdown season with Green Bay, Tonyan showcased this summer he can still be a reliable target in key moments.

During preseason action, Tonyan caught eight of nine passes for 90 yards and a touchdown, leading the team in receiving yardage. His combination of size, athleticism, and hands made him one of Kansas City’s most consistent performers in August.

The Chiefs value tight ends heavily in Andy Reid’s scheme, and with Travis Kelce approaching his mid-30s, having another experienced option is crucial. Tonyan’s rapport with Patrick Mahomes has already drawn positive reviews inside the locker room.

Coaches praised his versatility, noting his improvement in blocking along with his pass-catching reliability. Offensive coordinator Matt Nagy, familiar with Tonyan from NFC North battles, labeled him “an excellent fit for what we want to do.”

For Kansas City, this move was about more than filling a vacancy. It was about trust, experience, and proven ability. And for Tonyan, it’s validation — proof that 18 hours was all it took to regain his place.

🚨SHOCKER: Brett Favre Breaks Silence on Charlie Kirk Shooting — Fans Explode Over What the Packers Legend Just Said 👇
Green Bay, WI – September 11, 2025 The NFL world and beyond are reeling after the shocking assassination of conservative commentator Charlie Kirk. As tributes pour in nationwide, one of football’s most iconic figures — Green Bay Packers legend Brett Favre — has broken his silence, and his words are shaking fans to the core. In a late-night post that has already gone viral, Favre wrote: “I’m at a loss for words. Only thing I can think of is tragic. Please keep Charlie Kirk and his family in your prayers…” Within minutes, the heartfelt message had exploded online, racking up tens of thousands of likes, shares, and comments. For many fans, seeing Favre — the man who defined toughness and resilience on the gridiron — openly express sorrow revealed the depth of the tragedy. 🔥 The reaction from fans was instant and emotional: “When Brett Favre says he’s at a loss for words… you know it’s serious,” one fan wrote. “This one hurts. Kirk was a fighter, and Favre paying tribute shows how much impact he had,” another added. Favre’s words come as the nation continues to grapple with the shocking violence. Kirk, known for his outspoken political views, was assassinated earlier this week — an event that has left supporters mourning and sparked intense debate across the country. For Packers Nation, Favre’s statement struck a particularly powerful chord. The Hall of Famer has long been regarded as more than just a quarterback — he’s seen as a symbol of grit, leadership, and authenticity. By choosing to speak out, he not only honored Kirk’s memory but also reminded fans of the importance of unity in times of darkness. As the investigation into Kirk’s assassination continues, Favre’s tribute will likely be remembered as one of the most heartfelt responses from the sports world. 👉 Whether you loved or disagreed with Kirk, one thing is clear: his death has left a mark far beyond politics. And when a legend like Brett Favre speaks, the world listens.